Skip to main content

Online Schooling

    It was an experience that I never expected was going to be one I would personally partake in my life. The event being having over a year of an educational year being entirely done online. Online schooling was a topic that was familiar with considering my Mom had finished her accounting degree at College of DuPage online. She would always tell me how hard it was to learn in that setting, and I would scoff at that thought. How could it be hard to learn with no time limits. No noise to hurt your brain, no peers to cause you strain. 

    The situation seems very easy at the start. When you are learning names and getting all the introductory steps out of the way goes past like a blip. It seems so easy when you are talking for a few seconds, and due to the lack of interaction would lead to focus not being on the class. It felt nice that a class meeting would end and a second later I could be playing on my Xbox, use my phone, or go out with friends. In a way it was less stressful because I could easily change my mindset from school to other aspects of my life.'

After a month it very clearly changed and what my Mom said turned out to be true. My Xbox and phone turned into vices that would cause annoyance when I would think back as to how free it felt to transition to something so non-stressful. The homework would start to pile up and I was starting to be in front of  my laptop for hours longer than my classes lasted. The constant problems like failing internet connections and audio not working just isn't a problem in physical schooling. The worst part for me was missing simple things like talking in class, making jokes, and chuckling when the teacher wrote something wrong  made the situation feel fake. For me personally online schooling feels inhumane and is really a situation that I would prefer to never happen again.

-Edjon

Comments