Skip to main content

The Church Where I Don't Practice Religion

     In my childhood summers I had lots of time to myself and would only go outside to play sports, so I didn't have many actually obligations to do. My mother's friend told her that if she wanted there was a week long summer bible camp at the local church that she was organizing that me and my siblings should go to. My mom loved the idea(probably because we were annoying her at home), and I honestly didn't want to go but didn't care.  Although I have parents who come from an Eastern Orthodox background, personally I am not religious so I didn't have any real expectations on Scripture Safari being good or bad.

    It has now become the thing that I associate with the summer. Most people think of summer as beach, travelling, and pools but I think of another week of my favorite bible camp. I was in 5th grade the first year so I was at the age when kids become volunteers and I didn't have to got through the boring lessons that they gave in the classes. I was put into the recreation group for the kids to play games with them that made the first year easier to like the situation and made it a lot of fun. It was nice seeing all the kids smiling and laughing always makes me wish that they end of the week wanting it to go longer. It was my brother's last year of going to the classes so I decided to be a helper that one year and it was terrible. There wasn't a lot to do so most of the time I felt useless. 

    Next year due to the amount of people who wanted to be in recreation I was put in the group that helps the office workers. It was boring at first but because I was the oldest, I got the younger helpers to do all the work I didn't want to do. A couple years into that the church decided that volunteers needed to spend some time in the chapel and talk about religion. I don't talk unless told too and just bs my way though which has worked for almost a decade of helping there. I have never gone to that church with the point of religion but am having the best of times considering this past summer was my first year being the leader of recreation.

Comments